Just in

Articles by Jane Shillingford

About Jane Shillingford

Jane spent the bulk of her career working on women’s magazines. Now retired and living on the south coast, she has no regrets and 'would do it all again'. More Posts

Then and now – is it really progress?

The subject of how society evolves over time is a complicated thing, especially when you’re an oldie. Not least because you can remember the days when things were different and you just got on with it. Particularly when it comes to social attitudes and humour, because they will always only be [...]

April 2, 2018 // 0 Comments

It’s complicated

Over the past eight months or so the salaries of UK radio and television presenters have been getting plenty of coverage in the media, largely because of the historical and continuing alleged unequal piles of dosh that have been doled out to men and women. Two main accusations have been made:- [...]

February 17, 2018 // 0 Comments

It had to come sooner or later

It was bound to happen one day. It is common knowledge among Rusters that one of our columnists on this esteemed organ – who shall remain nameless despite having previously blogged about it himself – is in a relationship with a female robot and, so far as any of us know, is blissfully [...]

January 6, 2018 // 0 Comments

Checking things out

Purely in the cause of promoting the spread of general knowledge, public education and in case it may also be of interest to discerning Rust readers (obviously), this morning I provide a link to a piece I spotted on novel career opportunities by a lady who goes by the name of Venus O’Hara, as [...]

October 28, 2017 // 0 Comments

Grooming and relationships

On this organ we sometimes poke fun at the ways of the media – you know the sort of thing, ‘silly summer stories’, spectacular ‘fails’ going viral, and of course the time-honoured staple of madcap scientific surveys with blanket generalisations for conclusions that are either [...]

September 15, 2017 // 0 Comments

Peering into the future

It’s a funny old place, this 21st Century, politically-correct, equal opportunity driven, gender neutral or fluid (whichever it is, I’m getting confused these days) world we live in. The latest retailer to fall foul of the do-gooders – or is it ‘game changers’? – is John Lewis, [...]

September 5, 2017 // 0 Comments

A plague upon them all!

Holding, as I do, a life-long aversion to exercise I have never understood the supposed benefits of travelling anywhere by bicycle. In fact I’d go further than that and mention that I hate all forms of two-wheeled transport and am totally resistant to the arguments put about in the PC-brigade’s [...]

July 15, 2017 // 0 Comments

A Lott to talk about

Sometimes one comes across a piece in the media that is so deep-felt and searingly honest, so potentially self-lacerating and ‘out there’, that you cannot help but feel sympathy for both the author and the other parties involved. Here’s one I came across today on the website of [...]

February 18, 2017 // 0 Comments

Life is what happens when …

Anyone who keeps an eye on the media stories that flash by every week will be aware that (broadly-speaking) 90% of them cover ‘significant’ world events, another 9% deal with odds and sods of little significance and perhaps the last 1% are gems. Leaving aside for the moment under which [...]

February 3, 2017 // 0 Comments

1 2 3 6